Exam Board: A Level Graphic Communication – AQA
Graphic Communication provides students with an immersive experience into many art disciplines. Projects start with extensive research into existing products and designers’ work, before developing visuals that creatively meet the design brief. You will gain experience in using the Adobe Design Suite and Wacom Drawing Tablets alongside traditional art practises such as printing, paper cutting, folding, and book binding.
Graphic Communication gives excellent transferable skills such as creative thinking, time management, budgeting, meeting a deadline, communication skills, IT skills and problem solving that will support all future career pathways.
- Studying Art and/ or Design at GCSE is advantageous but not essential
This course has a mixture of:
- 60% Personal Investigation
- 40% Externally Set Practical Assignment
- Responding to a Design Brief
- Creative Photography
- Digital Collage and Layering
- Drawing, Texture and Mark Making
- Logos and Branding
- Adobe Photoshop
- Wacom Tablet Drawing
- Colour Theory
- Composition and Layout
- Outcome Development, Templates & Packaging
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe InDesign
- GIF Creation
- 3D Outcomes
- Cricut Paper Cutting
- Personal Project Development
- Critical Analysis of Design Work
Why choose this course?
- First-class facilities, including dedicated art studios
- Passionate teaching staff, who are artists in their own right
- Access to the full Adobe Design Suite on all College computers
- Access to Wacom drawing tablets, pop-up photo studios and DSLR cameras
- Visits from artists who deliver lectures and workshops on their craft
- Opportunity to enter various national art competitions
- Exhibit work in end of year Art Show
Where might it lead?
The combination of practical and theoretical skills means this course leads to a range of options in further study and employment. Students often choose our one year, pre-degree Foundational Diploma in Art and Design and then go on to study and employment in Graphic Design, Illustration, Game Design, Interior Design and Architecture.